Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Brand Expansion...Er, Explosion


Hubs asked me recently to pick up some deodorant at Target. Before you Unfollow the blog due to this mundane start to this post, WAIT I am going a different direction. I stumbled down the aisle and found myself face-to-face with the above display. Actually, the aisle was full of probably 6 sections like this 3-foot wide one I shot, above. WHO KNEW that there were so many different products where once there was just plain old Old Spice? You probably can't see from this view, but there were offshoot product lines such as STRENGTH, and then the even more amusing travel line with scents like Fiji, Matterhorn...Body Wash called Swagger, etc. I was amazed. I think it was shopping for something that I don't usually look at that made me take notice at how some of our favorite, everyday household brands have exploded.

Every brand now has a million offshoots, and decisions in shopping have become more complicated and more specific. I think this is something that is fascinating to watch. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? Where do you see it most?

6 comments:

  1. The Old Spice deoderant section is crazy! Whenever I have to get it for Husband and son I need the exact wording on the container in order to get the correct one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OT a little, but I have been trying to find a non staining deodorant for a while now. Anyone have any ideas? I can't seem to wear white tees/blouses more than a few times because of the staining, and I'm not much of a sweater, but I think it's from the deodorant. Sorry for the personal post, but I'm desperate... was just waiting for someone to broach the subject, kinda....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. I have finally been able to pick up my hubby's deodorant without writing down the exact name and color of the container - but we've been married for over 14 years now. Scary!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sadly I see this explosion everyday at work...My company makes Old Spice and is responsible for this proliferation and more like it in every freaking aisle in the store!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous,
    Go to the msn home page. There is a link for free shipping ANY Amount from avon online. THey have a CLEAR deoderant/anti that is the best. You will be SO HAPPY. I guarantee it. I don't work for Avon either. $1.25 for it too. Buy several. YOu won't regret.

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs